Opportunity to Take Part in Research
Social Care Assessments of Older LGBTQ+ People in England
SAND is currently working in collaboration with Birmingham, Bristol and Manchester Universities who are doing research into how inclusive social care assessments are for older LGBT+ people with care and support needs. The project runs for two years, looking at social care services across 3 local authorities, including Shropshire. An expert advisory group, meeting 4 times a year, will oversee and guide the research and be a place to share knowledge and experiences.
The Project is looking for people to join the Advisory Group. Participants with the following characteristics are encouraged to take part in this important research:
1. Identify as LGBTQ+ and currently 65+ years of age
2. Have a commitment to improving social care services for older LGBTQ+ people
3. Have some experience of social care services (having received social care support or supporting someone else receiving support)
4. Able to encourage others to contribute to the group
5. Able to attend meetings both face-to-face and virtually (probably through Zoom)
All participants will receive payment for attending meetings. Support will be provided including:
• Information about the research’s purpose and activities
• A conversation before the first meeting with the facilitator
• Travel expenses and lunch for face-to-face meetings
• A letter of recognition for taking part
• Opportunities to find out about the recommendations and impact of the research
If there are more people interested than spaces then participants will be selected to ensure as much diversity as possible in the Advisory Group, for example diversity in gender and sexual identity, and ensuring bisexual and trans individuals are represented.
If you are interested in this role, please send a short letter (1 page max.) to Dr Paul Willis (School for Policy Studies, University of Bristol) outlining your personal interest and how you meet the criteria: email@example.com
Please send this in as soon as you are able.
The first meeting of the group will be on Tuesday 19th Oct, 2-4pm on Zoom.
To find out more please contact Paul using the email above.
Alternatively telephone 0117 3310640
(Please leave a message and contact number and he will call you back).
Paul is happy to answer any questions you have.