2022 VCSA State of the Sector Survey Report PublishedPublished at 6/27/2022 12:00:00 PM in Latest news
In early 2022, Shropshire’s Voluntary and Community Sector Assembly (VCSA) conducted its first ‘State of the Sector’ survey since 2017. The survey results have now been published in a report that details the needs and value of VCSE organisations in Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin.
The survey was open to all voluntary groups, charities, and social enterprise organisations between February 15 and March 31 of this year. A total of 47 organisations responded to the lengthy survey questionnaire, and the VCSA especially thanks them for their valuable time in helping to complete this study.
- Survey respondents reported an average of 59 working days per organisation per year in volunteer hours – meaning that volunteers to Shropshire charities contribute approximately £578m in social value per year.
- Shropshire charities spent approximately £592m last year, contributing most of that directly to supporting the county.
- Shropshire charities provide approximately 3% of jobs in the county, adding approximately £137m in social value to the economy last year.
- Most organisations cited partnership working and their ability to continue serving their communities during Covid as their major achievements over the past year.
- In the wake of the pandemic and with a rising cost-of-living crisis, VCSE organisations saw their expenditures and the range of services offered rise while incomes did not always rise proportionately or at all.
- A large minority of VCSE organisations are concerned about their ability to secure funding through grants and contracts in the next year.
The survey will now be conducted on an annual basis, providing the VCSE sector and its partners in the public and private sector the opportunity to build on these insights and to better track the value and needs of the sector year on year.
If your organisation or partnership group would like to have a presentation of this report, or if you have questions, you can contact Sarah Hampson, Insight and VCS Engagement Officer, Shropshire CouncilLast updated at 9:18am