Shropshire Housing Support Forum
The Housing Support Forum is set up to provide an arena for discussing housing related support issues for both providers, clients and voluntary/statutory services. It acts as a collective voice for housing support in Shropshire. The Forum shares areas of concern, good working practices, information on emerging legislation and new areas of work. The Forum plays an important role in helping to shape service delivery in Shropshire.
The five main aims of the Forum are:
- To protect and promote our service users interests, rights, and involvement.
- To promote collaborative and partnership working between Providers.
- To promote collaborative working with other voluntary agencies and statutory services.
- To promote best practice in the delivery of the service.
- To promote high standards and encourage all providers to contribute to a continuous improvement to Shropshire housing support services
The forum meets 4 times a year in Shrewsbury. Membership is open to all providers of housing related support, partner agencies and representatives from service user groups. This includes small charities up to big national housing support providers. There are usually between 20-25 representatives at any one meeting.
The providers support vulnerable people in Shropshire who need extra help to achieve, or remain, independent within their community, and to achieve a better quality of life. The range of people supported by Forum members include:
- Older people in sheltered housing or within their own homes
- Young people at risk of homelessness, and in need of employment, lifeskills and training
- People with physical disabilities]
- People with mental health problems
- Victims of domestic abuse
- Gypsies and Travelers
- Adults with learning disabilities
- People who are homeless or in danger of becoming homeless due to multiple problems ( e.g. substance misuse, alcohol, offending behaviour)
- People who are in financial difficulties
The Forum also includes representatives from Shropshire Supported Housing Group who are a representative group of housing support clients from across the county.
Topics of work that the Forum have influenced and progressed over the years include:
- Common Code of Practice for providers
- Supporting People strategy
- Development of service user involvement and lobbying for a service user co-ordinator post
- Development of outcomes based support work
- Development of an Older Persons Strategy
- Community Alarms common assessment and strategy
- Commissioning framework for Housing support.
The Providers Forum registered with the Voluntary Sector Assembly in 2012 as Forum Of Interest. To find out more about the Housing Support Forum and about becoming a member please use the contact details below:
Contact: Hilary Paddock Chair of Housing Support Forum