Loneliness and social isolation are an increasing issue in the UK. Being isolated or lonely has far reaching and sometimes devastating effects on individuals and health and care systems. The effects of loneliness and isolation have been linked to other health problems and can have a significant impact on communities. Connecting with people who are lonely can be difficult, often people do not self-identify with loneliness and are uncomfortable with having a conversation about their loneliness. Yet the benefits of successfully tackling this issue are significant for the individual and society.
This workshop features 3 speakers on the current issues around loneliness, and their ideas for making improvements that can make a real difference for the future. There will also be a discussion section looking at how to solve a problem like loneliness in Shropshire.
- PAPYRUS is the national charity dedicated to the prevention of young suicide. Suicide is the biggest killer of young people – male and female – under 35 in the UK.Every year many thousands more attempt or contemplate suicide, harm themselves or suffer alone, afraid to speak openly about how they are feeling. Today, PAPYRUS works in many ways to prevent young suicide.
- More than Sport Officer from Energize – using physical activity and sport to tackle loneliness and isolation.
- Shropshire Rural Support was set up in 1990 to help people living in rural Shropshire by providing confidential support during periods of anxiety and stress, and with problems relating to their families and their businesses. In addition to listening, Shropshire Rural Support also has an extensive network of contacts who can provide guidance and signposting to professional advice on most aspects of living and working in rural communities and businesses.
We hope attendees will benefit from this workshop by:
- Having this dedicated time away from busy working/volunteering roles to consider the challenges surrounding loneliness and how they impact on the people and communities we support.
- Through discussion group sessions, hear about the challenges being faced in Shropshire and the work taking place to reduce the risk of more people becoming lonely and socially isolated.
- Learning about the inspirational work of other local organisations.
- Networking with other local groups and organisations working to address loneliness in Shropshire.
Click here to book your place.